Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Apple Pie

Pin It                           
The other week when we were limbo-ing, uhhh, apple picking, one of the first thoughts that crossed my mind was homemade apple pie. It's an essential this time of year and topped with a little ice cream makes the perfect fall dessert. I was going to try to steer clear of any traditional apple recipes and only try new ones, but there's just no escaping homemade apple pie. It's too delicious to deny making it.

The first time I made apple pie, I didn't really know what to expect. Something so delicious must be super difficult to make, right? I was ready for the challenge, but soon realized it was going to be a lot easier than I thought. Who knew that the filling of an apple pie was basically five ingredients? Not I! The hardest or most tedious part is peeling and slicing the apples, so if you can get through that it's smooth sailings! You should use my simple two-crust pie recipe and try this one out :)


Ingredients

  • Pastry for Two-Crust Pie
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • Dash of salt
  • 6 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (6 medium)
  • 2 tbsp. firm butter or margarine (optional)
  • 2 tsp. water
  • 1 tbsp. sugar

Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Prepare pastry.

In a large bowl, mix 1/2 cup sugar, the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.  Stir in apples. Spoon into a pastry-lined pie plate. Cut butter into small pieces; sprinkle over apples. Cover with top pastry. Seal and flute. Cut slits for ventilation.

Brush top crust with 2 tsp. water; sprinkle with 1 tbsp. sugar. Cover edge with a 2-3-inch strip of foil to prevent excessive browning; remove foil during the last 15 minutes of baking.

Bake 40 to 50 minuets or until crust is golden brown and juice begins to bubble through the slits in crust. Cool on wire rack for at least 2 hours.

1 comment:

  1. I just love your crust, it seems to be very crispy. I'm an huge fan of apple pie, i'll try it and then i'll let you know. Thanks for share and sorry my bad english. Have a nice week :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me some love! Thanks for stopping by :)