Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Baked Apple Oatmeal

Pin It
It's an annual tradition for my family to go apple picking. All twelve of us. I love my family to death, but I'll be the first to admit that we're all a bit screwy. Not the kind of screwy like we need to be locked up in a mental hospital. But the kind of screwy like we found a random string in between two apple trees, so we all started clapping and singing and doing the Limbo. And it's a sight for sore eyes when you're watching a group ranging in age from 3-39 doing the Limbo. Not your average family. But boy, do we have fun.

We always manage to get pounds and pounds of apples when we go apple picking...often more than we know what to do with. This year I told myself I would try out a few new recipes other than the standard apple pie and apple bread. This baked apple oatmeal was the first one I tried, and I automatically ruled it a success. Since the weather is getting a little chilly, it's nice to wake up in the morning and have a warm bowl of oatmeal with crunchy apples. Enjoy!


Oh, and just for giggles...here are some pictures of us doing the Limbo. We're not very talented:

 

Printable Recipe

Ingredients 
  • 2 2/3 cups old-fashioned oats
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 4 cups milk
  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp. butter or margarine, melted
  • 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 2 medium apples, chopped (about 2 cups)
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, if desired
  • Additional milk, if desired

Heat oven to 350 degrees F.

In 2-quart casserole, mix oats, raisins, 4 cups milk, the brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, salt and apples.

Bake uncovered 40 to 45 minutes or until most liquid is absorbed. Top with walnuts. Serve with additional milk.

Source: Betty Crocker

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me some love! Thanks for stopping by :)