Friday, July 15, 2011

Banana Cream Pie

Pin It


I try to make it a point to create homemade versions of recipes for my family and friends whenever possible. For example, I made Chocolate Cream Pie for my dad for Father's Day. I baked Chris' Dad Irish Soda Bread for St. Patrick's Day. Whenever my friends are over for breakfast, I make the Sausage and Hash Brown Bake. Chris loves these Sesame Noodles so I cook them very often. And so I made this pie for my mom.

Whenever we have a birthday in my family, that family member gets to pick what's on the menu for that day. Since my mom's birthday and Mother's Day fall around the same time, we usually do a combined celebration for both her birthday and the National holiday. This year, I decided to make a Banana Cream Pie for her birthday since we didn't get to do a separate celebration. This is what she asks for ever year and we usually just pick one up from the store, so I decided to surprise her and make it from scratch. It surprisingly wasn't hard to make at all and tasted delicious! Looks like I won't be able to get away with store-bought pies anymore :)

 


Printable Recipe

Ingredients
  • 1 9-inch pie shell, baked
  • 3 cups whole milk
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 3 bananas
Prepare pie shell as directed on package.

In a large saucepan, scald the milk.

In another saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt; gradually stir in the scalded milk. Over medium heat, stirring constantly, cook until thickened. Cover and, stirring occasionally, cook for two minutes longer.

In a small bowl, have the 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten, ready; stir a small amount of the hot mixture into beaten yolks; when thoroughly combined, stir yolks into hot mixture. Cook for one minute longer, stirring constantly.

Remove mixture from heat and blend in the butter and vanilla.

Let sit until lukewarm.

When ready to pour, slice bananas and scatter in pie shell; pour warm mixture over bananas.

Put pie in refrigerator until chilled, about 2-3 hours. Top with meringue. For a little color, put until the broiler set to high for about 2 minutes or until meringue begins to turn brown.

Meringue:
  • 4 egg whites
  • 6 tbsp. sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. cornstarch
Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. In a separate bowl, mix sugar and cornstarch. Add sugar mixture to egg whites a little at a time, beating constantly. Spoon onto pie and serve.


Source: For Pie: Food.com; Meringue: Have used this recipe forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me some love! Thanks for stopping by :)