Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Chocolate Cream Pie

Pin It


For Father's Day, I wanted to make my dad something I knew he would enjoy. In addition to the dip I posted on Monday, I also made this Chocolate Cream Pie for dessert. My dad isn't a huge dessert guy, but he loves his chocolate cream pie. And I don't blame him!

This pie was really rich and delicious. I could probably eat the filling by itself as a pudding, but I wouldn't dare (or would I?). Aside from a few lumps (I got distracted while heating the sugar and milk. Note: Don't get distracted while heating the sugar and milk or it will cause lumps), it was terrific. I always get nervous when making a new recipe for a special occasion, but this did not disappoint one bit. As always, hope you all enjoy!



Printable Recipe



Ingredients

  • 1 cup plus 2 tbsp. sugar
  • 3/4 cup heavy cream
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • 3 1/2 tbsp. cornstarch
  • Pinch of salt
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 4 oz. good-quality semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
  • 1 tbsp. butter
  • 3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup Cool Whip
  • 1 (9-inch) Chocolate Cookie Crust

In a small saucepan combine sugar, heavy cream, buttermilk, cornstarch and pinch of salt, and whisk until smooth. Place over medium-high heat, and bring to a boil, whisking from time to time for the sugar and cornstarch to dissolve and the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Continue cooking at a low boil for an additional 5 minutes, whisking constantly.

In a mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks lightly. Pour 1/2 cup of the hot mixture into the egg yolks and whisk thoroughly. Pour the egg yolk mixture into the saucepan and whisk over the heat until thoroughly combined and very thick, 1 to 2 minutes. Pour the mixture into a mixing bowl, and whisk in the chocolate, butter and vanilla. Continue whisking until thoroughly combined (mixture will be very thick). Cover the mixture with plastic wrap placed directly on the surface and refrigerate until cooled to room temperature, about 30 minutes.

Once cooled, fold the Cool Whip into the cool chocolate pudding mixture, then spoon the chocolate mixture into the prepared pie crust and refrigerate until firm and cool, at least 4 hours.

When ready to serve, top the pie with Whipped Cream and serve immediately.


Source: Adapted from Food Network

1 comment:

  1. that's one creamy, tasty, fluffy and deliciousness chocolate pie and got to try it, i can't resist, nobody can't :P

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me some love! Thanks for stopping by :)