Monday, February 6, 2012

Picadillo

Pin It
Picadillo is a Latin American dish that I've had a few times at Chris' parents' house. Since his mom is Cuban, I get the privilege of trying many authentic dishes that I've never had before. This isn't her recipe, but one night I had a craving and decided to try it out myself.

Picadillo is basically a mixture of ground beef, tomatoes or tomato sauce, onions, spices/herbs and green olives (my favorite part!). You can serve it with rice and/or black beans, but I've also seen recipes that use it as a filling for tacos or empanadas. That's next of my list of things to try. Enjoy!


Ingredients
  • 1/2 large onion, chopped 
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tomato, chopped
  • 1/2 pepper, finely chopped
  • 2 tbsp. cilantro
  • 1-1/2 lb. 93% lean ground beef
  • 4 oz. (1/2 can) tomato sauce
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1-2 bay leaf
  • 2 tbsp. green olives
Brown meat on medium flame in large sauté pan and season with salt and pepper. Use a wooden spoon to break the meat up into small pieces. When meat is no longer pink, drain all juice from pan.

Meanwhile, while meat is cooking, chop onion, garlic, pepper, tomato and cilantro.

Add sofrito (onion mixture) to the meat and continue cooking on a low flame. Add olives and about 2 tbsp. of the brine (this adds great flavor) cumin, bay leaf, and more salt if needed. Add tomato sauce and 1/4 cup of water and mix well. Reduce heat and simmer covered about 15-20 minutes.

Source: Skinny Taste

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me some love! Thanks for stopping by :)