Monday, January 30, 2012

Chocolate Chip Truffle Bars

Pin It

There are so many people in my immediate family, and since we all have crazy schedules we find it hard to pick a date and time when everyone is available to celebrate birthdays. My oldest brother turned 40 this month, and we aren't due to celebrate as a family for another few weeks, but I couldn't let this momentous occasion go by unnoticed. I'm sure he wanted to be reminded of it, too!!! Riiight.

On his actual birthday, I showed up at his office with a few surprises. Balloons, of course, and a little gift I made. I saw it on Pinterest and knew it would be perfect to make. I decorated a shoebox using decorative paper and mod podge, layered floral foam inside, topped it with some shredded green paper, and then added 40 assorted lollipops inside with a sign that read "40 Sucks!" So that was the "bouquet" I brought him. I thought it was the best gag gift. Not sure how he felt about it... :) I added some pictures below in case you're interested. They aren't the best quality because I was using my Blackberry, but you get the gist!

I also made him this chocolate chip truffle dessert. It was a cinch to make and so decadent. I couldn't taste any because of this silly old thing called a diet, but my brothers and mom all said it was delicious and very rich. My brother said it was even better the next day after being in the refrigerator overnight. Yum! Enjoy :) 

His cake!

Here's the front of his "bouquet"

Here's the back side...so cute!

Surprising him at work!
Printable Recipe

Ingredients

For bars:
  • 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
  • 1 egg
  • 1 pouch (1 lb. 1.5 oz.) Betty Crocker chocolate chip cookie mix
For frosting:
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray bottom of a 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray. In a medium bowl, stir together softened butter and egg. Stir in cookie mixture until soft dough forms. Press mixture in bottom of pans, using floured fingers.

Bake 19-21 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 30 minutes.
 
In medium saucepan, melt butter. Add sugar, milk, chocolate chips and vanilla. Continue to whisk until chocolate is completely melted and mixture is smooth. Allow to cool slightly and then spread over cooled cookie.
 
Cool completely, about 30 minutes. Once cooled, using frosting with a tip or a gel pack to decorate. Top with your favorite candy.
 
For bars, cut into 7 rows by 5 rows.

Source: For bars: Betty Crocker; For frosting: Cooks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me some love! Thanks for stopping by :)