Friday, January 27, 2012

Chicken Sausage, Peppers and Onions

Pin It
My goal to stay on a low carb diet is still going strong, and it's surprising how many recipes I've found or come up with that are actually fitting. I thought for sure that once I started I'd be having salads every night. I'm so glad that's not the case because I like variety and I don't think I'd be as successful if I had to have the same meal over and over again.

I've been reluctant to try any flavor of turkey or chicken sausage until Christmas when my sister-in-law served some with dinner. I just feel like sausage needs to be made with pork in order for it to be good, but she instantly proved me wrong. I tried the Italian and Garlic flavored chicken sausage, which were both delicious! I don't know why I was so hesitant to try them since I love both chicken and turkey, so I'm glad she pointed me in the right direction. My mom suggested making my usual Sausage, Peppers and Onions but modifying it to fit my low carb diet, which turned out great and didn't taste much different. Hope you enjoy!


Printable Recipe

Ingredients
  • 4 links Mild Italian Chicken Sausage
  • 1 onion, sliced
  • 1 red pepper, sliced
  • 1 green pepper, sliced
  • 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
  • 2 (8 oz.) cans tomato sauce
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
Spray a skillet with cooking spray. Add the chicken sausage and cook for about 2 minutes on each side, flipping so that all sides are evenly cooked, so about 8-10 minutes total. Remove from skillet and cool slightly. Cut the sausage into bite-size pieces.

Meanwhile, add 2 tbsp. of vegetable oil to a large skillet. Add the onions and peppers and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes. Add the tomato sauce, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and cooked sausage. Cook for a few minutes until sauce is warm and thickened. Serve immediately.

Source: SK Original

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me some love! Thanks for stopping by :)