Monday, November 28, 2011

Turkey (or Chicken) and Rice Soup

Pin It
I hope everyone had a great holiday weekend! I was able to enjoy two Thanksgiving feasts on Thursday and spend time with my amazing family, who I am so thankful to have in my life. I hope all of you were as lucky.

When I made this, I was only a few days away from going to try on my wedding dress (it surprised me and came in a whole two months early...yayy!), and I really wanted something light for dinner. This soup was perfect because it used up all the leftover ingredients I had from my other turkey leftover meal, and it was ready in about fifteen minutes. You can easily substitute the turkey for chicken if you don't have it on hand. But either way, you need to give this a try on the next cold and dreary day. I'm sure there are many more of those to come this winter season! Enjoy!


Ingredients
  • 5-6 cups chicken broth
  • 2 medium carrots, diced
  • 2 celery stalks, diced
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic, minced
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • 1 fresh thyme stem
  • 1 cup roasted turkey, chopped
  • 1/2 cup uncooked Arborio rice

Place rice and 1 cup water in a medium saucepan.  Heat until boiling. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for about 10 minutes or until rice is al dente and water is absorbed.

Heat broth in a large pot. Add the diced carrots, diced celery, garlic, garlic powder, bay leaf, thyme stem, salt and pepper. Heat until the carrots are tender, about 10 minutes. 

Add cooked rice and turkey to the heated broth mixture. Remove thyme stem and bay leaf. Allow turkey to heat through and serve.

Source: SK Original

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me some love! Thanks for stopping by :)