Friday, November 4, 2011

Chef's Salad with Herb-Mustard Vinaigrette

Pin It
My mom was the queen of making this type of salad growing up. I guess other people and restaurants refer to it as Chopped Salad, but in our household, it was called Chef's Salad. It would basically consist of any and all vegetables that were lingering around in the fridge, plus any deli meat we had on hand. Whenever someone was dieting or if we had a big lunch and wanted something light for dinner, this would always be our go-to.

I really, really love this salad and could eat it every night if I wanted to (but I like carbs too much, so that would never happen). I decided to make a new type of dressing to accompany the salad I threw together, and it was a huge hit. I think the flavors blended really well together, and the Parmesan cheese gave it a nice touch. I definitely recommend this if you want to eat healthy or cut back on carbs. You can alter the ingredients to your liking, but I think the combination I used here was perfect. Enjoy!
Delicious dressing.
Toss it all together and serve. A perfect, hearty salad!

Printable Recipe

Ingredients

Dressing
  • 1 tsp. garlic, minced
  • 2 tsp. onion, minced
  • 2 tbsp. whole grain Dijon mustard
  • 1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
  • 2 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
  • 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 3/4 cups pure, mild-flavored olive oil
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 tbsp. Parmesan cheese, grated
Salad
  • 2 bags Romaine lettuce, chopped
  • 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
  • 1/2 green pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 cup Kalamata olives
  • 1 avocado, pitted and sliced
  • 1/2 cup reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
  • 4-5 oz. oven roasted turkey deli meat, chopped
  • 4-5 oz. smoked ham deli meat, chopped

For dressing, mix all ingredients except oils and Parmesan cheese in a large bowl. Slowly add in the oil, whisking constantly. Once incorporated, add the Parmesan cheese. Put in refrigerator until ready to serve.

Toss the lettuce in a large bowl. Add each ingredient on top. Mix well to combine.

Top with Herb-Mustard Vinaigrette. Enjoy!

Source: Dressing very loosely adapted from CopyKat

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me some love! Thanks for stopping by :)