Monday, September 5, 2011

Homemade BBQ Sauce

Pin It



Happy Labor Day! Talk about good ol' southern BBQ sauce! I knew the Neely's recipe wouldn't disappoint. I left out the white sugar since I'm trying to not eat as much of that addicting substance, but Chris and I both thought it was great without it! The sauce was actually a tad bit spicy, which I like, so I'm sure the extra sugar would mellow out the flavor if you prefer it that way.

We grilled chicken and then brushed the BBQ sauce over top of each breast about 5 minutes before they were done. We found that this way works better than marinating the breasts in BBQ sauce prior to grilling because then the sauce will burn after being over the flames for so long. This way is a no-fail method! Enjoy!

Spread it on grilled chicken or whatever you prefer!


Printable Recipe

Ingredients
  • 2 cups ketchup
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 5 tbsp. light brown sugar
  • 1/2 tbsp. fresh ground black pepper
  • 1/2 tbsp. onion powder
  • 1/2 tbsp. ground mustard
  • 1 tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce


In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to simmer. Cook uncovered, stirring frequently, for 1 hour 15 minutes.


Source: Adapted from The Neely's

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me some love! Thanks for stopping by :)