Friday, July 22, 2011

Grilled Chicken with Bruschetta

Pin It


I like to change up my workout every once in a while, so yesterday evening Chris and decided to go swim a few laps. It was fine, except we both thought we were going to collapse after each 50 meters. I was a swimmer growing up, so my body is still kind of used to that sort of workout. But poor Chris. He's a basketball player. Basketball players and swimmers don't exactly use the same muscles and stamina when working out. My arms were burning and my chest was thumping, so I can only imagine what he was feeling. But he still did great! All I could think about was how dynamite my toned arms were going to look on our wedding day and that kept me going! Talk about motivation!

In preparation for the wedding, we've also recently decided that we need to start eating a lot healthier. I always try to incorporate low-fat or fat-free ingredients whenever possible, but with a wedding coming up that's hardly enough. This meal was very light, but packed with flavor. It was very refreshing as well considering the temperature has been in the 90s-100s the past few days. Chris is a big fan of balsamic vinegar, so that mixed with the tomato and mozzarella mixture really tied the dish together. Wedding diet, here we come!

Printable Recipe

Ingredients
  • 3 medium vine ripe tomatoes   
  • 2 small cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup chopped red onion
  • 2 tbsp. fresh basil leaves, chopped
  • 1 tbsp. extra virgin oil
  • 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 3 oz. part skim mozzarella, diced
  • 1.25 lbs (8 thin sliced) chicken cutlets  
Combine onion, olive oil, balsamic, salt and pepper. Set aside a few minutes.
Chop tomatoes and place in a large bowl. Combine with garlic, basil, onion-balsamic combo and additional salt and pepper to taste. Set aside and let it sit at least 10 minutes or as long as overnight. Toss in the cheese when ready to serve.
Season chicken with additional salt and fresh pepper. Grill the chicken cutlets on your indoor or outdoor grill, top with bruschetta and serve.

Source: Adapted from Gina's Skinny Recipes

1 comment:

  1. This looks really good, I book marked a similar recipe recently.

    My arms were never so toned as they were before my wedding! Nothing like a wedding dress for motivation!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me some love! Thanks for stopping by :)