Friday, July 8, 2011

Classic Potato Salad

Pin It

I'm not sure why, but I've always been hesitant to make potato salad. I think it's because I was afraid that I'd under cook the potatoes and have an inedible result. I knew for the Fourth of July I'd have to put that fear aside, and thank goodness I did. This recipe was fantastic.

As usual, I try to slip in light or low-fat ingredients whenever possible. For this recipe, I used light mayonnaise (not Miracle Whip...that stuff will change the flavor all together) and I couldn't even tell the difference. There was a perfect amount of dressing, and the onions and celery really perked it up. I'm not normally a huge fan of potato salad (I tend to lean more towards pasta salads), but this is a recipe I'd for sure eat over and over again. Enjoy and have a fabulous weekend!


Printable Recipe

Ingredients 
  • 8 medium potatoes, cooked and diced
  • 1 1/2 cups light mayonnaise
  • 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tbsp. sugar
  • 1 tbsp. yellow mustard
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • 2 celery ribs, sliced
  • 1/2 cup onion, minced 
  • 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped

Peel potatoes. Add water to large pot and heat to boiling. Add salt to taste. Add potatoes and cook for 25 minutes or until fork tender. Drain and allow to cool to room temperature.

Meanwhile, mix the mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt, garlic powder and pepper in a separate bowl.

Once the potatoes are cooled, dice into bite-sized pieces. Add to a large bowl. Top with mayonnaise mixture and stir to combine. Add celery and onions and mix well. Stir in hard-boiled eggs. Allow to chill for at least two hours and serve.

Source: Adapted from Food.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me some love! Thanks for stopping by :)