Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Slow Cooker Cuban Flank Steak

Pin It

I got a really nice slow cooker for Christmas a couple years ago. It has a bunch of different settings and it also locks so I can transport it from location to location, which turned out to be very handy when I go to potlucks. The only problem is...I hardly ever use it.

That's about to change.

It was so nice coming home last night to an amazing smelling house and a finished meal. I prepared all the ingredients the night before, so I only had to wake up 5 minutes earlier than usual to put it all in the crock pot before work. This was very convenient since I wake up at 6:15 am during the week (not fun). When Chris and I are both around for dinner, I always make sure there is dinner on the table. Even though I thoroughly enjoy cooking, it was very refreshing coming home to this after a long day at work. And it was delicious! Chris even had thirds! Hope you enjoy.



Printable Recipe

Ingredients
  • 1 onion, thinly sliced 
  • 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips 
  • 1 green bell pepper, cut into strips 
  • 1-1 1/2 lbs. flank steak, cut into 3 pieces 
  • 2 tbsp. chili powder 
  • 3/4 tsp. dried oregano leaves 
  • 1 1/2 tsp. garlic, minced
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • 2 tbsp. lime juice 
  • 3/4 cup beef broth
  • 1 cup uncooked regular long-grain white rice or Cilantro Lime Rice
  • 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained, rinsed

Spray 1 1/2- to 2-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In cooker, place onion and peppers. Top with beef. Sprinkle with chili powder, oregano, garlic and salt. Drizzle with lime juice. Add broth. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 8-10 hours. 

About 20 minutes before serving, cook rice as directed on package. 

Remove beef from cooker; place on cutting board. Shred beef with 2 forks; return to cooker and mix well. Stir in black beans. Increase heat setting to High. Cover; cook about 5 minutes longer or until thoroughly heated. Serve beef and sauce over rice.

Source: Adapted from Pillsbury

1 comment:

  1. Oooh -- I have a slow cooker that I think I used once and then retired. Clearly I need to break it out again -- this looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me some love! Thanks for stopping by :)