Monday, June 27, 2011

Chicken Fajita Salad with Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette

Pin It

Still. Eating. Healthy. How long until bathing suit season is over again??

Sometimes it's hard for me to come up with super healthy recipes, just because I like flavor and I often find healthier foods to be bland and boring. Mexican food is something that I can never go wrong with, so incorporating that into a healthy dinner is something that is becoming common in my household. It still has tons of flavor, but it doesn't use all the butter and oil that other recipes call for.

I usually just put salsa as my dressing on any fajita or taco salads, but I wanted to switch it up for once. Since I had a few oranges on my kitchen table that were just going to go to waste, I decided I wanted to try a citrus-filled vinaigrette. It was very refreshing and went well with the lime-marinated chicken. This was a healthy dinner I could definitely eat over and over again! Enjoy!



Printable Recipe

Ingredients

  • 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1/2 cup lime juice
  • 1/2 tsp. cumin
  • 1/2 tsp. oregano
  • 1 tsp. minced garlic
  • 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
  • 1 red bell pepper, sliced
  • 1 green bell pepper, sliced
  • 1 yellow onion, sliced
  • Lettuce
  • Sour cream
  • Mexican blend cheese
  • Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette (recipe below)

Put chicken in a zip lock bag and toss with lime juice, minced garlic, cumin and oregano. Allow to marinate for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.


Meanwhile, heat vegetable oil in a large saute pan over medium-low heat. Add the peppers and onions and cook, covered, for 20 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.


After 30 minutes, remove chicken from the refrigerator. Grill over medium-high heat until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Remove from grill and allow to cool slightly. Slice into strips. Put chicken on top of lettuce, and top with sour cream, cheese and cilantro-lime vinaigrette.


Vinaigrette:

  • 1 cup packed cilantro
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 cup lime juice
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • 1 tsp. garlic, minced

Puree all ingredients in a food processor until smooth.


Source: Chicken adapted from All Recipes and Vinaigrette from Eating Well

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me some love! Thanks for stopping by :)