Friday, May 27, 2011

Caprese Pizza

Pin It

Almost every time my family gets together, we have mozzarella and tomatoes as a side dish. Or what others may know as a Caprese Salad. Yum. But it has to be made with fresh mozzarella! There's just no other way.

My dad and I recently traveled up to New York for the day to visit my aunt for her birthday. In the span of 14 hours, we drove a total of 7 hours, visited family for 5 hours, and shopped for 2 hours. Yes, we spent valuable family time shopping. But not for clothes or knick-knacks...but for food. 

Yea I said it. Food.

We got round sausage, sausage links, sweet sausage and broccoli rabe sausage. We bought Parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, rice balls, kanishes, and cookies. But the best thing we bought was the Mozzarella cheese. Ohh the Mozzarella cheese. My dad spent $40 on three balls of this stuff. Forty bucks!! So I guess I should have felt special when he gave me one of these prized possessions.

I had a hankering for pizza shortly after we came back, so I decided to use this fresh New York Mozzarella to top my pizza. Pair this with Parmesan cheese, tomatoes, some spices and fresh basil and you've got yourself a Caprese pizza! And isn't it purrrty? Hope everyone has a great Memorial Day weekend!



Ingredients

  • Quick and Easy Pizza Dough
  • Fresh Mozzarella cheese, sliced thin
  • Olive oil
  • 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
  • 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 tsp. marjoram
  • Parmesan cheese, grated
  • Fresh basil leaves

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease a pizza pan or lightly flour a pizza stone.


Combine seasonings in bowl and set aside.


Spread pizza dough out on pizza pan. Lightly drizzle a coat of olive oil directly on top of dough. Cover with 6-8 slices of fresh Mozzarella cheese. Lay tomatoes, cut side up, over cheese and dough. Sprinkle top with seasoning mixture and the basil leaves. Finally, sprinkle a generous amount of Parmesan cheese evenly on top.


Cook in a preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cut and enjoy!!


Source: SK Original

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm this looks too good! I love caprese salads. If I wasn't low carbing I would make this tonight. Stupid carbs!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me some love! Thanks for stopping by :)