Friday, March 25, 2011

Loaded Twice Baked Potatoes

Pin It

One of the most challenging things for me in the kitchen is to come up with good side dishes. I find that they're usually either too filling or don't go along with the main course. I, of course, love sides since I'm a big veggie lover and that's usually what my sides consist of. Chris, on the other hand, would probably have steak as his main course, salmon as a side, and chicken for dessert if he could. He'll have a salad or some other plain vegetable, but I like to switch it up once in a while and try to find things that satisfy both of us.

On that note, I love mashed potatoes. They're best when they are creamy, silky and smooth. If they're dry or clumpy, they are a huge disappointment. As a matter of fact, we've designated my oldest brother, Eddie, as the official potato masher on Thanksgiving. He did it great one year, so every year since we call him to the kitchen when it's time to mash the potatoes. Sucker! He's got it down to a science, though, so who could blame us?

Thanks to him, I already knew how to make awesome mashed potatoes. In order to spruce up my baked potato, I decided to mash it and then add cheese and bacon to make it a little more exciting. Serve this with a juicy steak or some grilled chicken and you've got yourself a dinner. I also used all reduced-fat ingredients to make this a little healthier. If I'm going to make it loaded, I figured I should make one aspect of it healthy!

Enjoy and have a fabulous weekend!




Ingredients
  • 4 large baking potatoes
  • 1/4 cup bacon bits 
  • 1/2 cup low-fat milk
  • 2 tbsp. light butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, divided
  • 4 green onions, sliced (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake potatoes in preheated oven for 1 hour or until knife can smoothly enter the center of the potato. If they aren't soft after 1 hour, you can zap them in the microwave for a minute or two (poke them with a knife and wrap them in damp paper towels first).

When the potatoes are done allow them to cool for 5 minutes. Slice potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop the flesh into a large bowl. Reserve the skins. 


Add butter, salt and pepper to the potato flesh. Add the milk slowly until it reaches your desired consistency. Then stir in 1/2 cup of cheese. Mix with a hand mixer until well blended and creamy. Spoon the mixture into the potato skins. Top each with remaining cheese and bacon.

Bake for another 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Garnish with green onions, if using.



Source: SK Original
 

2 comments:

  1. I love twice baked potatoes! I also struggle with sides. Half the time I don't even make one unless it is simple rice or veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here! I'm glad I'm not the only one who struggles with that :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me some love! Thanks for stopping by :)